For every one person Willen Hospice supports, we know there are ten more who need our help. Many of those people wish to receive our specialist, compassionate care at home.
Last year our Willen at Home Specialist Community Team made more than 4,000 visits to patients in their own home, made 11,000 phone calls to patients or their family members, and supported around 500 patients who wished to die at home.
Our appeal is aiming to raise funds that can help us reach more people that need our help in the heart of our local community.
Everyone can get involved in our Nice Bucket Challenge. It’s so easy… whether you work in an office, pub, shop, café, hairdressers, school or you’re part of a community group.
Take on the challenge in four easy steps!
1. Contact us to request one of our collection buckets.
2. Pledge to collect £100 or £200 in your Nice Bucket by the end of March.
3. Put your bucket somewhere safe and where lots of people (staff, customers etc) will see it.
4.Take on the challenge in any way you like – Nice Buckets take pennies or pounds!
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
• Ask customers or staff to pop in any small change.
• Ask your customers if they’d like to round up their bill to support Willen and add the additional cash to the bucket.
• Use it as a swear box!
• Hold a dress down day and ask everyone who joins in to pop a £1 in the bucket.
• Download our printable Lucky Hearts game below. Ask people to pop a £1 in your Nice Bucket to have a go.
• Gather some donated prizes and hold a raffle, sell tickets for £1 to friends, family and colleagues.
Games to download and play
Similar to a raffle, players play £1 to pick a number and if their number gets picked they win a prize of your choice. The players will need to write their number, name, and contact details on the cards provided and hand it to the organiser.
Print off the heart coin board and try to fill it with £1 coins.
Our population is growing and we know that more people than ever will need the support of Willen Hospice in the coming years. Our research tells us that for every one person we care for, ten more need our help.
Our specialist community nursing team offer a unique service for Milton Keynes and the surrounding areas at no cost to patients.
They are able to prescribe appropriate medicines, develop bespoke care plans, provide support with symptom management, assess psychological needs, and if it is a patient’s wish to die at home, our nurses will endeavour support them to make that possible.
Just 17% of our funding comes from the NHS, so to enable us to offer this, and the other support we provide to our community, we rely on donations from our local community.
Your support could help our nurses to:
• Meet the growing demand to provide specialist care to patients at home.
• Support patients and families in planning future care .
• Provide symptom management and pain control to more patients in the comfort of their home.
• Meet the wishes of more of our patients who would prefer to spend their last days at home.
Willen Hospice has been supporting local families for almost 40 years. We have seen a huge increase in the number of people we support over recent years, and with a growing population, the demand on health care services and the number of people who would like our care will continue to grow.
Willen Hospice was set up to support cancer patients. In fact, we support patients living with a much wider range of life-limiting illnesses including respiratory and neurological diseases, heart failure and dementia.
By donating to our appeal, you’ll be helping us to support more people with the quality care that Willen is known for.