Do you have good communication skills and the maturity to work in an emotionally challenging environment with patience, sensitivity and discretion?
We are looking for someone who is flexible in approach and able to adapt to a variety of tasks and the changing needs of the patients and nursing and housekeeping teams. The ability to use initiative and prioritise tasks will also be encouraged and preferred.
Department: In Patient Unit
Days: Monday to Sunday
Reporting to: Ward Hostess Hours: Between 8.30am and 7pm
Purpose of the role
Generally working with the ward hostess or a member of the nursing team to support the dietary and housekeeping requirements of patients and visitors on the In Patient Unit.
During each shift there will be a range of tasks dependent on the time of day and patient priorities. This will include some of the following:
Patient/Visitor Hydration and Nutrition
• Refilling and replacing water jugs/beakers/trays in patient rooms
• Serving refreshments and snacks to patients and visitors
• Collating menu selections for the catering team to prepare
• Preparing meal service trolleys
• Distributing pre-ordered meals to patients and visitors
• Assisting patients who require support with feeding (or reporting this requirement to a member of the nursing team)
• Monitoring and recording patient food intake
• Collecting used tableware from patient rooms/visitor areas and returning them to the kitchen
• Replenishing refreshment supplies in visitor and communal areas
• Cleaning of food receptive areas in patient rooms
• Assisting with the preparation of patient rooms for new admissions
• Washing, drying and ironing of patient’s personal bedding and clothes
• Re-stocking the laundry storage areas and sluice room
• Attend the Hospice Induction training session and any relevant role specific training
• Complete all mandatory training to ensure your understanding of the importance of Fire Safety, Emergency Procedures, Health and Safety and Infection Control
• Comply with all Hospice policies and procedures
• Observe confidentiality guidelines of the Hospice for patients and staff
• Express any personal concerns regarding your voluntary experience to IPU staff or the People Services Department
Please complete the form below or email email@example.com for more information.
Volunteering for Willen Hospice